Learn to make Roasted Baingan Bharta Recipe | Baingan ka Bharta | Mashed Smoky Eggplant Stir Fry with a detailed photo and video recipe tutorials. Baingan Bharta is a spiced and mashed aubergine or eggplant dish popular in Indian cuisine. Here eggplant or aubergine is the English words for baingan and Bharta is the Hindi word for mashed.
One of the easiest punjabi cuisines which is simple and easy to make with just a handful of spices. The fire-roasted eggplant blended with prepared masala will ensure smoky flavorful taste in each bite. The recipe is an ideal side dish for Indian flatbreads like roti and chapati, but can also be served as a simple side dish.
I simply love baingan ka bharta due to its enriched simplicity and taste. There are many regional variations of making baingan bharta like Maharashtrian Vangyache bharit or Bihari baingan chokha or tamilian kathirikai gothsu. The recipe that I have shared here is the Punjabi version that we usually make in our home.
Do follow and subscribe us on other channels for more amazing and tasty recipes:
Baingan ka Bharta Video Tutorial
Recipe Card for Bhuna Baingan ka Bharta :
Roasted Baingan Bharta Recipe | Bhuna Baingan ka Bharta | Mashed Smoky Eggplant Stir Fry
- 500 grams brinjal / baingan / eggplant / aubergine
- 4 garlic pods
- 1 green chili
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1.5 tsp grated ginger 1.5 inch
- 1.5 tsp crushed garlic 4-5 in no.
- 1 finely chopped green chili
- 3 finely chopped onions medium sized
- 3 finely chopped tomatoes medium sized
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tsp coriander/dhaniya powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 pinch asafoetida/ hing
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves
- Take a medium-sized brinjal and make 4-5 slits on it.
- Stuff in garlic and chilli in slit as per your preference. I filled 4 slits with 1 garlic each and 1 slit with green chili.
- Grease the baingan with oil as it helps in peeling off the skin easily post roasting.
- Flip the brinjal occasionally for even roasting from all sides.
- Roast until brinjal are completely charred and cooked from inside. It will get soft post roasting.
- Cool down the roasted baingan completely and peel the skin off.
- With the help of the knife, take off the head/crown of brinjal.
- Mash the eggplant with the help of a fork and keep it aside.
- In a large wok/kadai, heat 3 tbsp oil and saute garlic and ginger for a minute.
- Now add chopped green chili.
- Add chopped onions and saute them until they become translucent/ pinkish in color.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook until they get mushy and soft.
- Add spices now, add salt as per taste, followed by coriander/ dhaniya powder, kashmiri lal mirch and hing.
- Mix everything well and cook for a minute.
- Now add mashed roasted brinjal to the masala and give it a good mix.
- Using a masher, crush the brinjal if thick lumps are there (optional step/if needed).
- Add 1 tsp garam masala and mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of fresh coriander to this and mix well.
- Finally, enjoy baingan ka bharta with hot roti/phulka or paranthi.
Tips & Tricks
- Choose a medium-sized brinjal for roasting as a bigger one would be difficult to roast and would be left somewhat raw from inside.
- Also, when buying brinjal it should be soft, easily pressable, dark in color and its crown or head should be green- all this indicates that brinjal is fresh. We have to choose such brinjals only for bharta.
- Apply oil to brinjal before roasting as it will ensure brinjal does not stick to the gas or grill.
- Roast brinjal on low to medium flame to ensure uniform cooking.
- Use kashmiri lal mirch instead of the regular one as it brings out a really nice color in the bharta and is less spicy.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel click here to Subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes
How to make Baingan ka Bharta with step by step photo tutorial:
1) Take a medium-sized brinjal
2) Make 4-5 slits on it
3) Stuff in garlic and chili in slit as per your preference. I filled 4 slits with 1 garlic each and 1 slit with green chili.
4) Grease the baingan with oil as it helps in peeling off the skin easily post roasting.
5) Roast until brinjal is completely charred and cooked from inside. It will get soft post roasting.
6) Cool down the roasted baingan completely
7) Peel off the charred skin
8) It will look like this
9) With the help of the knife, take off the head/crown of brinjal.
10) Mash the eggplant with the help of a fork and keep it aside.
11) Mashed brinjal would look like this
12) In a large wok/kadai, heat 3 tbsp oil
13) Now add 1.5 tsp crushed garlic
14) 1.5 tsp grated garlic
13) Saute garlic and ginger for a minute.
14) Now add 1 chopped green chili.
15) Add 3 finely chopped onions
16) Saute them until they become translucent/ pinkish in color.
17) Now add 3 chopped tomatoes
18) Cook them until they get mushy and soft.
19) Add spices now, add 1 tsp salt or as per taste
20) Followed by 2 tsp coriander/ dhania powder
21) 1 tsp kashmiri lal mirch
22) 2 pinch asafoetida/hing
23) Mix everything well and cook for a minute.
24) Now add mashed roasted brinjal to the masala and give it a good mix.
25) Using a masher, crush the brinjal if thick lumps are there (optional step/if needed).
26) Add 1 tsp garam masala and mix for 2-3 minutes
27) Add ½ cup of fresh coriander to this and mix well.
28) Finally, enjoy baingan ka bharta with hot roti/phulka or paranthi.
TIPS & TRICKS
So do try this yummy Baingan ka Bharta recipe and I am sure, it will come out just perfect and would be loved by anyone who is served this. You may also try out our other Maincourse Dishes (Link).
- Veg Cheese Croquettes | Left-Over Rice Croquettes | Cheese Croquettes
- Simple Pulao for Indian Gravies | Mix Veg Pulav
- Pudina Dahi Chutney Recipe | Dahi Pudina Chutney | Mint Chutney with Curd | Dahi Chutney Recipe | Mint Yoghurt Dip
- Instant Jalebi | No Yeast No Fermentation Jalebi | 15-Minute Jalebi
- Bhuna Baingan ka Bharta Recipe | Baingan ka Bharta | Smoky Roasted Eggplant Stir Fry
- Microwave Mug Cake | Eggless Mug Cake |Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- Dal Makhni | Restaurant Style Daal Makhni Recipe
- Veg Bread Omlette | Eggless Omlette Bread | No Egg Omlette | Vegetarian Omlette